Seattle University SU Email | SU Online | MySU | AlumniWeb | Calendar | Search | Site index | Directories | Contact

What does my grade mean?

Last Modified:Thursday, April 04, 2013 Last Modified By: headt Type: INFO
Rated 3 stars based on 91 votes. Article has been viewed 203,155 times.

What does my grade mean?*

Grading System

Since fall 1996 the university has used the following system of grading to indicate the

level of individual student achievement. Each letter grade has a quality point value assigned

for the grade achieved. The quality point value is assigned to each letter grade as follows:

A 4.0 Superior performance

A- 3.7

B+ 3.3

B 3.0 Good performance

B- 2.7

C+ 2.3

C 2.0 Adequate undergraduate performance; minimal performance in courses

applicable to graduate degree

C- 1.7 Courses graded C- or below will not count toward graduate degree

or certificate

D+ 1.3

D 1.0 Poor performance

D- 0.7

F 0.0 Failing (formerly E)

The grades of CR, HW, I, IP, LW, M, N, NC, P, Q, R, W, Y, YW, or Z have no quality point value.

Other Grade Designations

CR/F—Mandatory Credit/Fail

Music practice courses, some field experiences, internships, independent study in the

Albers School of Business and Economics, some graduate courses, and other courses so

designated by individual departments are graded only credit (CR) or fail (F). When passed

with the minimum acceptable standard of D- on the undergraduate level and C on the

graduate level, the course will be graded CR and credit will be granted. There will be no

effect on the grade point average. Should the student fail to satisfy the instructor’s minimal

expectations, the course will be graded F and will be included in the computation of the

grade point average. Schools/Colleges may have a higher grade standard for what constitutes a CR (credit). Consult the appropriate school/college handbook for this information.

CR/NC—Credit/No Credit

The CR/NC grading mode is reserved for undergraduate credit by examination. Minimum

achievement level for receiving credit is C. Neither CR nor NC affects the grade point average.

See Credit by Examination section of the Undergraduate Catalog.

HW—Hardship Withdrawal (Policy 75-22)

Hardship withdrawals are granted for the death or catastrophic illness of a family member,

an incapacitating illness and/or injury to the student, or when extraordinary and unanticipated

circumstances prevent the student from completing all courses. The dean or dean’s

designee will require that the student provide documentation to support his or her request.

There is no effect on the grade point average. Tuition refund follows the regular refund policy.

Financial aid recipients are advised to check with Student Financial Services before requesting

a hardship withdrawal because this action may negatively affect financial aid.

I—Incomplete (Policy 97-3)

A temporary grade indicating that work in the course was acceptable, although a critical

portion of it was not completed because of illness or other serious circumstances beyond

the student’s control. The I grade is not counted in the credits earned or used in the grade

point average computation. The I grade may not be used for the convenience of the faculty

member or student. When the instructor assigns an I grade at the end of a term, a provisional

grade must be submitted that will be automatically assigned by the registrar if the

deadline expires without student action. This provisional grade is calculated to include all

work completed up to the date of final attendance plus a failing grade for work/examinations

the student did not complete. If no provisional grade is submitted, the registrar will assign

an ‘F’ once the ‘I’ deadline expires. Once a degree has been posted, removal of an

I grade is not permitted. The deadlines for removing the “I” grades appear in the University

Academic Calendar.

IP—In Progress

An “IP” is the symbol used on the academic transcript to indicate the current quarter’s


LW—Petitioned Late Withdrawal (Policy 75-22)

Each student is limited to three LW grades as an undergraduate and three at the

graduate level.


An “M” is the symbol used on grade reports to inform a student that a grade has not been

received from the instructor.

N—No Grade (Policy 75-19)

A grade used for courses in which the coursework is not scheduled for completion until

after the quarter closes, e.g., thesis or research courses. Each student is responsible

for arranging with the instructor to remove the N grade per the schedule outlined in the

University Academic Calendar. Once the closing date has passed, re-registration and payment

of regular tuition is required to obtain credit for the work completed. Once a degree has

been posted, removal of an N grade is not permitted.

NC—No Credit

Grade assigned when credit by examination has been attempted and student did

not achieve acceptable performance level of at least C. There is no effect on the grade

point average.


P/F - The P grade is assigned when a student successfully completes an undergraduate

course after electing the pass/fail grading option for a general elective course. Failure to

achieve at the minimum D- level results in a grade of F, which will affect the grade point

average. See Pass/Fail option below.

Q—A Suspended Grade

For doctoral project/dissertation work-in-progress at the 600 level only. The Q grade must

be removed within the six-year limit for all the degree coursework. Once the six-year limit

has expired, the Q becomes permanent and the student must re-register for the course, paying

regular tuition to obtain credit for the work completed.

R—Doctoral Research or Mandatory Registration

Indicates registration in a required non-credit doctoral research or mandatory registration

course. This is a permanent grade that does not effect the grade point average.

W—Withdrawal (Policy 75-22)

Official withdrawal.


A course for which no credit is given. Not available for course numbers 500-999.

YW—Audit Withdrawal

Student registered as an auditor but did not attend through end of course.

Z—Administrative Withdrawal (Policy 75-22)

Grade assigned by the Office of the Registrar when it can be documented that a student has registered

for a course, stopped out, or never attended the class and did not officially drop the course according

to university policy. There is no effect on the grade point average. (This option is no longer offered) 

*Not accurate for the Seattle University Law School

Rate this Article:


Email Article Email Article Print Article Print Article Bookmark Article Bookmark Article Social Bookmarks Social Bookmarks
Comments RSS Comments RSS Export As PDF Export As PDF

Add Your Comments

Name: *
Email Address:
Web Address:
Verification Code:

Quick Search

Expand / Collapse
Search by keywords or type:
Advanced Search